Is There Little Joy
in Your Life?
Do you feel as though something is holding you back from having the life you hoped for? Have you experienced a trauma and find that you often re-experience upsetting events? Do you frequently feel agitated, irritable, or tense, but struggle to pinpoint the source of your unease? Are you worried that something is intrinsically wrong with you? Do you mistrust good things and consistently expect the bad? Perhaps you have sought therapy before, but still feel anxious and unable to shake painful memories and regrets from your past or overwhelming worry about the future.
Traumatic experiences often contribute to long-term emotional pain and can trigger increased anxiety and unease in everyday situations. Many successful people struggle with self-criticism and even self-loathing. It is common to feel a sense of unease or even be in crisis, even if on the outside it appears that you have it all together. Sometimes, trauma can be difficult to identify, especially if it comes from your youth or upbringing. Individuals struggling with the emotional aftermath of a single traumatic incident or a long-term, developmental trauma often experience its effects in a number of ways.
Have You Found That…
• You often ruminate on past choices or perceived mistakes?
• You wake up with a feeling of dread that follows you throughout your day?
• You struggle with feelings of shame and self-judgment?
• Certain things or situations trigger intense emotional or physical sensations, causing you distress or even panic?
• You feel hopeless, depressed, and worried that you will never be able to let go of painful memories and live the life you want?
• Years of talk therapy alone have helped you, but are no longer useful or have not brought you the relief you long for?
If You Have Felt Any of These Things, Don’t Give Up!
At Cutting Edge Counseling, we have helped individuals cope with trauma and find healing for over 20 years. We use EMDR therapy, Somatic Experiencing, and mindfulness skills to help individuals find long-term relief and healing from the deep turmoil caused by painful life experiences.
You Are Not Alone
Although it may feel like everyone else has it all figured out, many people struggle with negative thoughts, self-criticism, and anxiety. And, many of these people silently struggle to cope after a traumatic experience shook their very sense of self. If you have already tried talk therapy – maybe even for years –– you may feel utterly hopeless and frustrated. While talk therapy has many benefits, it does not always effectively treat trauma.
You Can Find Healing for Your Mind, Body, and Soul
Sometimes, it can be easy to identify the source of your pain. Perhaps you witnessed something violent or were in a terrifying car accident. Other times, it can be difficult to recognize how long-term stressful situations, such as a neglect, upheaval, or abuse during childhood, can be the source of your trauma and related pain. When the source of your pain seems shrouded, hazy, or distant, you can feel stuck and unable to effectively work toward healing. If you feel as though you are at a standstill, Cutting Edge Counseling can help you:
• Regain a sense of internal order and normalcy
• Develop techniques to achieve calm in stressful situations
• Achieve greater confidence, resiliency, and ease
• Remove yourself from the trauma swirl so that you can trust in the good things in your life
•Become better able to respond to life’s demands rather than reacting
• Find happiness and fulfillment that is not conditional on your job, relationship, or events in the outside world
“Nothing will work. I’ve felt this way forever”.
Many people share the fear that nothing could possibly help, which is why we founded Cutting Edge Counseling. We use cutting-edge therapies based in neuroscience that tap into your brain’s amazing ability to create new, more positive pathways in your brain and leave bad memories in the past where they belong. Our gentle, accelerated tools – EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, and mindfulness skills – do just that. Real freedom from suffering is possible. You can live a life with more resilience and greater intimacy.
“I’ve had a lot of therapy and I still feel bad”.
A lot of people who have had a lot of extensive therapy come to us as a last resort. They’ve had years of therapy, and have a good understanding of why they feel bad, but still feel bad. They still experience symptoms, such as sleep problems, anxiety, and depression.
Traditional talk therapy does a great job addressing the mind and emotions, but it leaves out the body. The body and the primitive parts of the brain are where trauma is stored. In our work, we address those primitive parts to help your body release the trauma. Our embodied approach can help you feel better, safer, and more at ease.
“I’ve heard that trauma therapy can take a really long time”.
Many people who have experienced a single-incident trauma, such as a car accident, often start to feel better with a very few sessions. However, developmental traumas that took place over an extended period of time may need a more long-term treatment plan. The good news, however, is that you can start to feel exponentially better as your brain develops new, more resilient pathways. And, of course, the length of your treatment is ultimately up to you.
“There Are A Lot of Therapists in Town. Why Should I Choose You?”
While many therapists work with trauma, a few key things set Cutting Edge Counseling apart.
• We have over 20 years of experience as therapists, which has allowed us to develop an integrated body of knowledge and experience. EMDR and Somatic Experiencing are both an art and science, and they take time to master.
• We have helped a wide range of individuals feel better. No matter how complicated your experience is, we can help you through it.
• We have personal experience with trauma and deeply understand where you are coming from.
• We recognize the significant trauma that can come with feeling different or facing bullying, racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, or other prejudices throughout your life.
• We are open and non-judgmental, and we approach therapy with a sense of humor and lightness that helps our clients feel comfortable and at ease.
The Bottom Line…
• Trauma can linger in the body for decades. But, it can be released. You don’t have to continue to live in pain.
• EMDR, Somatic Experiencing, and mindfulness skills can help you in ways that traditional talk therapy cannot.
• Inner peace and healing are possible for you.
Cutting Edge Counseling can help you quiet your mind and leave your past in the past.