Is Trauma Keeping You
Caught in the Past?
Have you experienced a trauma in your life? Do you find that you go through your days feeling on edge, anticipating the next thing that will trigger a painful memory? Is your mental and emotional energy drained by rumination and regret? Maybe you feel exhausted and overwhelmed by fears and anxieties about the future. You might anticipate the worst-case scenario and find it difficult to trust good things when they come your way. Perhaps you find it difficult to form intimate relationships with others, especially when you feel pressure to be vulnerable. Do you live with feelings of shame and self-loathing, wondering if it’s possible for you to ever feel at peace with yourself and within the world?
Trauma can turn your world upside-down and make you feel as though you must always be on guard. It can be difficult to believe in the possibility of happiness when negative thoughts and feelings consume you. Trauma takes many forms. Some people find themselves haunted by memories of a single incident trauma that left them feeling intensely frightened and unsafe. For others, trauma can be less easy to identify, especially if it was a long-term, cumulative or a developmental trauma experience of neglect or abuse. Early or unprocessed memories can have profound effects on your physical, emotional and mental well-being.
Have You Found That…
- You feel stuck in a loop of negative thoughts and feelings?
- You often feel upset and irritable, even though you’re sometimes unsure why?
- You internally criticize your every move and struggle with feelings of self-loathing and regret?
- You feel isolated, alone and unable to communicate your needs effectively with those around you, even friends, family members and loved ones?
- You spend your days under immense pressure, unable to shake a lingering sense of dread?
- Certain sounds, images, scents or even tastes bring you back to the painful sensations of your traumatic experience?
- Little has helped you find relief – even years of talk therapy?
If You Have Felt Haunted by Trauma, Don’t Give Up!
For over 25 years, Cutting Edge Counseling has helped people struggling with trauma find healing and achieve greater inner peace. Our approach to trauma therapy is composed of an advanced, highly effective combination of EMDR Therapy, Somatic Therapy, Mindfulness Therapy and Attachment Repair Therapy. We have helped countless people release the turmoil caused by trauma and embrace a more hopeful, joyful future.
If You Feel Unable to Shake Fear and Anxiety, You Are Not Alone
The brain operates with three parts: the sophisticated brain, the emotional brain and the reptile/survival brain. The survival brain is responsible for stimulating your flight, fight or freeze responses to perceived danger. However, after a trauma, that part of your brain can become dis-regulated. You may feel the need to run, fight or freeze even when there is not a real danger present. And, you cannot always use logic or talk therapy to re-regulate this system.
Although you may know exactly what is causing you pain or panic, you may not be able to stop the sensations of panic and dread. You might feel that if you sit quietly with your own thoughts and try to connect with your “self,” you will enter a dark, impenetrable maze of painful memories. Maybe you worry that you will always feel estranged from others, or that you will never be able to feel calm or trusting in a relationship. You may feel as though you are a lost cause or that you are internally, irrevocably broken in some way. This is not so. No matter how much pain, frustration or fear you feel right now, you are not alone, and there is hope. Trauma counseling that utilizes the advanced techniques of EMDR Therapy, Somatic Experiencing, Mindfulness Therapy and Attachment Repair Therapy can provide relief from the bottom up, addressing your body as well as your mind to help you in new, effective ways.
Trauma Therapy Can Help Free You from the Pain of the Past
Human beings are wired for healing. Regardless of what you are struggling with and the ways in which your trauma manifests, you can regain inner peace and experience a fulfilling future. Trauma and/or PTSD treatment with Cutting Edge Counseling can help you:
- Let go of circular, negative thoughts and begin to trust in good things.
- Achieve the freedom to feel joy and fulfillment from the inside out, regardless of the conditional, external factors in your life.
- Develop and connect with a fully healthy self.
- Learn healthy ways to communicate your needs and feelings to those around you so that you can engage in fulfilling, nurturing relationships.
- Re-regulate your flight, fight and freeze responses so that you no longer feel constantly uncomfortable and on edge.
- Enjoy renewed energy and interest in life, along with the resiliency to bounce back when faced with challenges.
- Feel more confident and at ease.
“I didn’t really experience a trauma…did I?”
There are two kinds of trauma: single-incident trauma and developmental trauma. “Single-incident” refers to an intense, frightening or harmful experience that occurred only one time, such as a car accident, an assault, a type of injury or a near-death experience. Even though the experience occurred only once, its effects can be deep and long-lasting.
“Developmental” trauma can be more difficult to identify and unpack. This type of cumulative trauma includes long-term abuse from a partner, parent or another person in your life; neglect from those whose love and approval you valued; or some kind of on-going danger. Complex trauma can stay hidden for years, causing you pain and unease even when you feel as though you should be happy.
If you did not experience a single-incident trauma yet still feel anxiety, dread, self-judgment or other trauma symptoms, you may be suffering from the impact of unidentified complex trauma. It’s very common to block childhood trauma and even forget it. This is the brain’s way of trying to protect you. However, your body carries a memory of trauma even when your mind doesn’t. That’s why it is so essential to tap into your body’s wisdom and healing potential. Therapy for trauma can help you work through your experience and find relief.
“Isn’t this kind of trauma therapy experimental?”
EMDR treatment is the most researched of the cutting edge therapies grounded in neuroscience. It has been used extensively by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for war trauma, sexual assault and more. It’s been around since the late 1980s, and we’ve been using it at Cutting Edge Counseling for over 20 years.
Somatic Experiencing was introduced in Dr. Peter Levine’s 1997 book, Waking the Tiger, and is widely reported be highly effective by clinicians and clients. You can read more about the current research through the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute website.
Mindfulness Therapy, EMDR and Somatic Experiencing are thought to be the most effective treatments for coping with trauma.
“I don’t want to tell my story again. It’s too upsetting, and I’m ashamed”.
We completely understand. Going over the story again can be re-traumatizing and not helpful. We promote healing on three levels: your thoughts (your story), your emotions and your body. In trauma counseling sessions, we can help you establish a sense of calm and strength, building your emotional stability and capacity. We can then work on one small part of your trauma until it is no longer upsetting before moving on.
With EMDR and SE, sharing the specific details of your traumatic event is often not necessary. If you do decide to share, we’ll open the door very slowly and never judge you for your experience. Although trauma therapy can be intense, it can also lead to long-term release, inner peace and the renewed ability to pursue the fulfilling life you’ve dreamed of.
“There Are A Lot of Trauma Therapists in Town. Why Should I Choose You?”
While many therapists offer trauma therapy, Cutting Edge Counseling is uniquely qualified to help you.
- Our 25 plus years of experience makes us experts in using EMDR, Somatic Experiencing and Mindfulness Therapy effectively for a wide variety of individuals and situations.
- We have had our own personal experiences with trauma. We understand your pain and genuinely want to help you feel better.
- We are open, non-judgmental and embrace working with people from all races, nationalities, sexualities, genders and classes.
- With humor and a light approach, our goal is to help you feel as comfortable as possible. We will never push you where you don’t want to go.
The Bottom Line…
- You don’t have to let the effects of trauma weigh you down anymore. There is hope for a better, brighter future.
- Even if traditional talk therapy has stopped being useful for you, EMDR, Somatic Experiencing and Mindfulness Therapy and Attachment Repair Therapy can help you in new, profound ways.
- You can achieve internal order, self-acceptance and peace.
You deserve to live your best possible life. If you’re seeking trauma therapy in the Los Angeles area, we invite you to call Stephanie at 310-339-5812 or Lee Ann at 310-980-8988 for a 15-minute free phone consultation to learn more about how we can help.